Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The only true constant is change

Is that an oxymoron? Or some type of really profound statement? Beats me, but I do say and think it quite often.

This popped into my head today as I wandered around the Walmart, completely lost and very much out of my element. Now, please don't think I'm bashing Walmart Shoppers. That is not the case at all, I just prefer speciality stores. You know craft stores for craft items. Grocery stores for food, clothing stores for....well, you get the idea. 

As I tried in vain to locate Milk Bones for my dog, it occurred to me this type of store has not really been around that long. When I was growing up, you could not have your tires replaced on your car while you shopped for groceries while picking up your fishing license along with bait and hey might as well grab some extra shotgun shells, some fabric and a new dress while you're at it. Talk about your one stop shopping!

And technology! How many conversations did we NOT have as teenagers tethered to a phone attached to the wall of the kitchen where every member of your household happened to be whenever the phone call was for YOU.

Many things I utilize in my daily life were not around when I was a child. Digital clocks, microwaves, home computers, FM radio for goodness sakes. The list goes on and on.

Why am I being so nostalgic? I'm not sure, but it might have something to do with my daughter being pregnant. What changes will occur in the lifetime of my grandchild. Will we revert to the old days of Mom and Pop stores with my grand baby telling their children about how when they were young you could get everything you needed in one store?

Who knows what the future holds. It's 2012 and we still aren't driving those hover crafts they promised...

No comments:

Post a Comment